American University in Cairo
- Start Date: September, 2018
- End Date: Ongoing
- Location: Abu Ghosoun Village
- Target Group: The Local Residents of Abu Ghosoun
- No of Beneficiaries: X local residents
- Project Description: As discussed on community concerns page (hyperlink to portable water problems), water is scarce in Abu Ghosoun. Residents usually purchase about 2 barrels of water/month. 1 barrel contains 100 liters of water, and usually costs 55 EGP. A water storage unit was established by the general support of the American University in Cairo through a development initiative led by Dr. Hani Sewilam. The NGO now assumes the responsibility of operating this unit as a Water Bank to provide purified drinking water to the local people of the Village. The NGO is responsible for buying and storing water in five large tanks (total capacity of 50 m2). This will increase the availability of purified water at the village and will reduce the existing transport problems due to the village heavily relying on portable water being transferred from Aswan. Gorgonia Beach Resort will sponsor the operation of the water bank.
- Impact: Improving the local community’s access to clean and purified drinking water.